Monday, November 15, 2010

A Different Kind of Halloween

I know this is late, but I’m still trying to catch up on my blogs! Haha! HALLOWEEN!! They don’t have Halloween here in China. Sad, but true! Since this is my kids’ first english class most of them had never even heard of the holiday. It was my privilege to introduce them to it! :)
On the Tuesday before Halloween we did a whole lesson on the holiday. I taught them about pumpkins, costumes, candy, trick or treating, ghosts, witches, monsters, etc. Most of the kids caught on... I’m sure the ones who didn’t thought I was CRAZY! Haha! :) 

Teaching my kids about costumes! :) Love them! 

That Thursday Cierra and I combined our classes and had a little party. We made sucker ghosts, painted pumpkins (well... a pumpkin), and played games with them. At the end they went “trick or treating”. They absolutely loved it! It was a blast! :D We “dressed up” as cats (we had to make do with what we had!) and the kids thought it was hysterical!


Creative, I know.

Playing the pumpkin toss!




This is Larry with his sucker ghost! Larry is my favorite kid.


I know I shouldn’t have favorites, but I do! He’s so funny and quirky! He always tilts his head when you talk to him. He doesn’t walk... he bounces around from place to place in the funniest ways! He just lives in his own little world! He’s so smart and well behaved on top of that. I just love him! I want to take him home! Haha!
On the 31st it was a typical day here in China. We had an awesome church meeting! Random side note: there were 5 Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays this October! Cool! Anyway... That night we passed candy out to the middle school students at their “Halloween Party”. It was a good attempt, but not much like a REAL Halloween party. Haha! Jenny and Sophie (my little Chinese sisters) were there, so I gave them all my candy. Oops! :) Haha!

Some of the middle schoolers having their Halloween party- China style!

Later that evening we were talking about how it really didn’t feel like Halloween. It had still been a way fun day and all, but something was missing! I suggested that since we didn’t have pumpkins we carve apples. Everyone laughed. I was serious! So Cierra, Braden, Aaron, and I decided to give it a try. It was awesome!!! And delicious. Soon most of the group had joined in the fun! It wasn’t a typical Halloween, but it was a blast!

Here we are... just carving apples!

Mine and Cierra’s finished products!

Kayla happened to have birthday candles (go figure! Kayla always has the randomest things. I love it!), so we stuck them in the apples and lit them up! :) 



I was unaware that the whole apple would glow! They were pretty sweet looking!


Everyone’s apples... all lined up and lit up!
Coming up: the Chinese are convinced Samantha, Cierra, and I are professional dancers. Find out more next time on Jenni’s Blog! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment