Monday, November 15, 2010

Dancing Through Life

A few weeks ago there was a talent show. Kelly informed us that they wanted the Americans to perform in it. No one in my group wanted to perform, but we needed 2 acts. Finally a few of us brave souls decided to volunteer... or Cierra volunteered us and Samantha. Haha! Cierra, Samantha, and I decided to do the Alumni dance we did at the Cardinelle Collage earlier this year. We worked on it for about an hour and adjusted it for three people. It really was not a big deal at all...
We showed up at the talent show. Oh my gosh. Sitting through that talent show was one of the most painful experiences of my life. I’ve been told by multiple people here that all Chinese people can sing. Apparently they’ve never been to Daguanghua! The screeching.... I think it will haunt me forever. The worst part of it was that the mic guys seemed to think that if it was SUPER loud you wouldn’t notice the quality. So pretty much my ears were harassed all night long!


This was one of the singing and dancing numbers we witnessed.
Cierra, Samantha, and I were one of the last performances. We did a pretty good job- for not having dance shoes or a proper dance room, not dancing for quite a while, and only working for an hour on it! Haha! But as soon as we pulled out that ariel... dang! Apparently that is quite impressive to them! 
Us dancing together again!
This is the only even semi-good picture we have of us dancing!
The next day Kelly came into our room and was like “Are you guys professional dancers?” We tried to explain to her that no, we are not... it’s just something we like to do. Shouldn’t have said that! Since then she’s been having us dance at everything! 
One weekend, while we were at our “family’s” house, Kelly called us and informed us {we never really have a choice in the matter...) we needed to hurry home because we would be dancing at the half time of the basketball game. Our group went to watch the basketball game... one of the funniest things of my life! There’s a reason Yao Ming is the only Chinese person to make it in the NBA! 
Just some Chinese kids ballin it up!
Our school wanted us there so we would do American cheers and pretty much just intimidate the other team. We get used for that type of thing a lot... but it ended up being hilarious! They gave Stuart a microphone. That was a mistake! Haha! Never give something like that to Stuart... Actually I’m glad they did because it was one of the most entertaining things of my life! He did a whole commentary of the game. The Chinese people were just eating it up even though they had no idea what was going on.
Stuart as the MC!
For half time they had Stuart and Braden introduce ILP (this was all in english. I don’t know why they wanted it... I don’t think anyone could understand). Then they wanted us to sing “We Will Rock You”. You just have to understand- here in China nothing makes sense. I have NO idea why they wanted us to do any of this, but they did. They just get these crazy ideas in their minds and then think Americans are shameless enough to do it... and this group is! Haha! They let Stuart keep his little microphone and then they gave Braden a headset. Another mistake. Stuart and Braden seriously just rocked out... air guitar madness! I wish it was recorded more than anything! That’s definitely the hardest I’ve laughed the whole time I’ve been here!
This is Braden’s back after rocking out. He did the whole air guitar/spin on the ground thing... The court turned his sweatshirt green. 
After that little jam session they had the three of us dance again, which went great. Jenny and Sophie came to watch us, so that was so much fun! :) Gotta love my little Chinese sisters!! 
Here we are with our little “family” after our performance.
Last week Kelly had us go perform at a special needs school. That was an awesome experience! The kids were SO sweet and excited we came! All of us who went were really touched by their spirits and innocence!  There was a little girl there who reminded me of my beautiful cousin Maggie and it made me a little homesick.. It was worth is to have Kelly drag us around to all these random places to dance just for this sweet experience.



:) With the kids! (They wanted us to do that heart thing with our arms... once again, nothing makes sense in China...)

No comments:

Post a Comment