Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Unexpected Adventure

So... at this time next week I will be living in China. I keep trying to wrap my head around that fact, but I don't think I'm going to! I'm pretty sure it won't hit me until I'm actually there! That's how life always is for me at least...

This week has been a blast! I'm trying to get everything in and to visit everyone before I leave! I'm coming to realize, however, that I'm not going to get everything done that I want to... but it's ok!

So what's the hardest part of this adventure (besides leaving my friends, family, and pretty much everything I know, of course...)? PACKING! ... something I wasn't expecting!

I have many friends who have gone on LDS missions. They had to pack for 2 years and they were packing the night before they left! Granted they're boys and all they had to pack were shirts, ties, suits, and then all the other random things. I, however, will only be gone 1/6 of the amount of time, and I've already tried, and failed, at packing TWICE!

My first problem is a simple fact of life. I am a girl. Like most girls, I want a variety of clothes, cute (but sensible) shoes, pictures of friends and family, stuff to do on my free time... all that! And I'm having a hard time deciding what stays and what goes on this adventure with me! As my roommate found out last year, I have a lot of "stuff", and I tend to think it needs to come with me!

My second problem is that I only have 2 suitcases... one of which is filled with supplies! That leaves me with one bag! And as anyone who has been on vacation, to girls camp, or even just a sleepover with me knows... I tend to OVER PACK! I am like a boy scout. I like to "Be Prepared". So sue me if I'm WAY over-prepared! At least I'll have my Princess and the Frog coloring book (thanks, Alli!) to entertain me while everyone else is BORED!

An then there's the supplies themselves! I am so grateful to everyone who donated!! I need 4 months of lessons... that's a lot of supplies! I am just starting to wonder how I'm going to fit it all! Oh well! It will all work out, and I will have the best prepared lessons the Chinese have ever seen! I just may have to shove a few boxes of crayons in my pockets. :)

The last problem is very interesting... (if you're an immature boy, skip to the next paragraph) They do not sell tampons in the stores in China. I've been told by multiple volunteers that you can search the whole country and you won't find a single box! As if I didn't have enough to pack, now I have to pack 4 months worth of those...

Ok. enough complaining! I'm sure I'll figure it out! I just may have to learn to live with less... Which would be very good for me! :) Once I get through the unexpected adventure of packing I'll be off on the adventure of a lifetime! I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity! As it gets closer and closer I feel even more sure that this is the right thing for me to be doing at this time in my life. I love you all and hope this next 4 months is an adventure for you, too!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I will miss you so much but I am looking forward to hearing about all of your adventures! You are one of the sweetest, awesomest people I know :-) Be safe!!! XO

    ReplyDelete