Sunday, August 29, 2010

Checking in from China!

Greetings! I’m checking in from China! :) Living in China is a very interesting experience. Even within just one week I feel like I’ve already experienced a great deal of personal growth! Let me share some of my experiences and the lessons I’ve learned!


We started teaching the first full day we were here! It was REALLY good for me that first day (as I’ve mentioned). The second day went even better! My lesson was really good, the kids were great for me, and I felt really good about it! I had so much fun teaching that day and I wanted to steal Molly, Coco, and Kyle and bring them back to the U.S. with me! I love those kids! The third day of teaching, however, was a catastrophe! It was a Friday, so of course the kids were rowdy! We couldn’t get ANYTHING done and no amount of discipline worked! It was intense. Oh well! Monday will go better! :)


Teaching these kids has already taught ME so much! First of all, patience. They barely know the language I am speaking to them. Instead of getting frustrated, if i try again (usually a little slower) they almost always realize what I’m saying! They are also a very rambunctious group, so patience is required there, too! Another thing we really try to do is love these kids! These are first or second graders in a boarding school! Their Chinese teachers are VERY strict and they don’t even have a family when they go home. Just a little room, a care taker, and cooks. When we teach with love they respond so much better!! These kids need to feel like they’re loved, and I’m honored to be one to help them feel that way! And in turn, they love us! They give us big hugs and are so excited to see us in the cafeteria or around campus!! :)


It has been raining non stop since we arrived. Today there is finally some sunshine and everyone is SO excited! Anyway... I’ve learned that Utah is really unique weather wise (and in all other ways, too!). For example, if it’s raining you can wait a few hours and then it will clear up and be nice the rest of the day. It’s true what they say... wait 10 minutes and the weather will change! Not here! When it rains, it rains for a good week straight! And it rains HARD! I haven’t been dry since I stepped off that bus!

Around our living areas there are cats. Cats everywhere. We’re not allowed to touch them... One day Cierra and I had our door open and this cat just came into our room! I named it Chinese Cat. Some of the other people in my group named it Spencer, but I think my name is much better! :)



On Saturday we braved the rain and decided to go into downtown Weihai. It’s about a half hour on the bus. It was so fun! Our group, guided by our awesome local friend Kelly, explored the city! We went to the “Happy Gates”. It’s rumored that if you walk on the big brass sculpture you will find your happiness! I’ll let you know if that’s true! :)





We found all these way cool and cheap markets! I haven’t really bought anything yet because I don’t want to over do it my first week! I need to get accustomed to prices and bartering! We got completely lost in the city when Kelly left. Luckily we had Heather who could ask directions from a local and he could guide us where we needed to go!


Before leaving the city we had some dinner. MCDONALD’S! Now, usually I don’t like McDonald’s, but it was amazing! Don’t get me wrong, the food isn’t BAD or anything at the school... it’s just different. It’s hard to get used to. There’s VERY little variety, and it all just kinda blends together. So even after a week it’s getting a little monotonous! But french fries.... YUMMY!!! And to those of you who know me well, this will be no big surprise to you. One of the hardest things for me has been the lack of ice cream and chocolate. There’s a very limited supply, and their versions are just not quite the same (milk ice?!). But a hot fudge sundae from McDonald’s... It was the greatest thing I’ve ever tasted. I ate one... and then got another. Ya, call me fat if you want, but it was worth it! :) It was like being reunited with an old friend!!

Today was the Sabbath day! Even in China there is a special feeling to this day! We are part of the Beijing China International District Branch. We call in on Skype. There are people scattered all throughout China. President and Sister Lewis are already taking good care of us! Today our internet connection wouldn’t hold, so we didn’t really get to listen in. We had permission from President Lewis, so we had the Sacrament. I’m very grateful to have Priesthood holders in our group! We had crackers on a dinner tray for bread, and used the desk drawer as a water tray. It was quite the experience. Afterwards, since we couldn’t really listen in to our meeting, Stuart just gave a quick thought and we had a bit of a testimony meeting. It was a really cool experience! No matter where you are or what you have to work with, the Spirit is the same! The Spirit and unity of that meeting were so strong. I fell blessed to be in this group. There are so many incredible people I’m learning so much from! I am really grateful to have this opportunity. It is so amazing in so many different ways!


A big group of us decided to go on a Sunday walk. We heard about this trail behind our school, and we decided to go on that. WELL... it turned into quite the experience!! About 30 bug bites later and quite the adventurous walk we are back and safe! It was fun though. I just itch. I’ve accepted that I’m just going to itch most of the time here. There are so many bugs!!


Many of the lessons I’ve learned here don’t have a specific experience tied to them... it’s many things combined. For one thing, I’ve learned how good home is. Even the poor in America live much better than many here! I sleep on a board, my bathroom is disgusting... the plumbing can’t even handle toilet paper... the streets are dirty, you can’t drink the water, and so much more! I really do come from a blessed and prospered land! But not matter our circumstance, we can be HAPPY!! And we are! We are so happy and having fabulous experiences! It’s also amazing that we can share our beliefs and are free to do believe and think what we want. I pray that one day the country of China will be opened to the Church and these people I’m growing to love will have the opportunity to have the blessings that come from being a member of the Church!


Well, I hope you everything is well back home! I love you all the way from China! :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are already having a blast! I'm so glad to hear that! And I'm also glad you started this blog! Thanks for keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete