Monday, September 6, 2010

More adventures...

This weekend was awesome! We are having a lot of fun adventures here!


It all started during the day on Friday. Since Cierra and I don’t start at our school until next week we had the day off. We decided to go into downtown Wehai and get massages.... for less than 8 bucks! :) Mine was absolutely delightful! It felt so good, especially after sleeping on the “beds” we have!! Cierra either had a really strong lady or she is a pansy... We haven’t been able to decipher which yet! ;)


Friday night was karaoke night!!! :) Our AWESOME foreign coordinator, Kelly, treated us to a night of karaoke. Oh man. Let me tell you, the Chinese know how to do karaoke right!!!! Wow! The place was insane! You got these private rooms with dance lights and all this crazy stuff! It was an awesome time! I just love our group! We were all singing, dancing, and having the time of our lives! I think it says a lot about how much we’ve already bonded because no one was sitting out, scared, or holding back even the tiniest bit! It was seriously a BLAST! I wish I could take you all... but alas, it’s in China! Oh and yes, they had songs in English!




We were singing our little hearts out!




We were all just singing and dancing together. This was most of the girls in our room


This is our entire group! I love them! Kelly is the Asian in the front doing a peace sign! Awesome! haha! Love it!

Saturday our group took a bus and went to this Buddhist Temple. It was beautiful there! There was this huge water show (like the Bellagio, but not quite that level) that was really fun! We got to see a ton of statues, temples, gardens, etc. It was a good experience to see a bit more of the history/culture/beliefs of the Chinese.



These are my friends Anna and Kayla. We’re at the water show!


There was one statue that was HUGE! It seriously reminded me of going to the Statue of Liberty... just with a lot less security! ha! It was really awesome and had an AMAZING view. You could see the whole park, the mountains, the city, and the ocean. It was breathtaking.




This is the statue. Now I know what you’re thinking... “How many times did you have to try before you got that picture?” Once! Ya. Mad props to our photographer, Lauren!



Cierra, Samantha, and I got sweet parasols! Now we’re sure to fit in!


Going to the Buddhist temple was a neat experience. It was definitely peaceful there. It helped me see how there is truth all around us. While I am not Buddhist and don’t necessarily agree with all of their beliefs, I felt that there was some inspiration and truths within their practices. Being here has helped me understand and gain a stronger testimony of the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It was peaceful at this temple, but there was a spirit and feeling missing. It did make me miss being able to go to the LDS Temple every week! I am excited for when I get to do that again! :)


Today we got our Skype church to work. We have a cool set up! There were 26 different calls connected and 94 people listening in this week! I am grateful for the technology we have! It makes it possible for me to interact with people of my own faith and to keep in contact with all my friends and families at home!


Sundays are a little hard for everyone in our group. We’ve come to the conclusion that it’s because back at home we all usually spend this day with our families and have delicious food... neither of which we have here! If I were back at home I’d be going to my Grandma Slagowski’s for dinner tonight... the first Sunday of the month! I’ll DEFINITELY be thinking of that when I’m eating in the cafeteria tonight... I hope my family knows I love and miss them!! That’s what I miss most (don’t worry friends, you are a very close second!!)... My dad with his big smile and ability to make you happy (except me in the mornings...), my mom with her crazy connections and answers, my brother who entertains me nonstop, and the most perfect couple in the world- Cheryl and Dan with their constant ideas for games and fun! I am very lucky to have a friendship with my siblings and I love and miss them!


Anyway... that was kind of a rant! :) I’m excited to start at my school this next week! It will be nice to finally get our permanent assignments and classes!! I’ll let you know how that goes and keep you informed of our journeys! Love you!


I'll send the last picture next... it's being weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment